Gloria G. Isla
Strategic Alliance Partner
Gloria Isla has more than 25 years of experience rendering services in intellectual property. Her expertise ranges from trademarks, patents, industrial designs, internet domains, and copyright. These include registrations, renewals, transfers and assignments, procedural oppositions, anti-counterfeiting research reports, and anti-counterfeiting raids and prosecution. Gloria has been heavily involved in major licensing and technology transfer negotiations, and has successfully represented her clients in intellectual property litigation in Mexico involving copyright and trademark infringement. She has actively participated in preparing intellectual property corporate policies and manuals.
Gloria is a member of the most recognized national and international intellectual property professional associations. She has been recognized on various occasions in several specialized publications such as World Trademark Reporter, Practical Law Company, and Intellectual Property Management. She has been invited to speak about intellectual property and licensing in Mexico and in international forums, and has published several articles on the subject.
Gloria obtained her Master’s in Intellectual Property at Franklin Pierce Law Center. Prior to starting her own practice, Gloria was the General Director of the Mexican Office of Clarke, Modet & Co., where throughout her 8-year tenure she situated Clarke amongst the leading firms in intellectual property in Mexico. Before that, she worked for 21 years at Basham, Ringe y Correa, S.C.
Universidad Iberoamericana, Juris Doctor, 1982 • Franklin Pierce Law Center, Master’s in Intellectual Property, 1987 • US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), Visiting Scholar Program, May-June 1988 • Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP, Internship, 1988 • Procter & Gamble, Internship, 1988.
US International University, Mexico City Campus, Professor of the Courses: “International Law and the Legal Environment of International Business,” “International Law and Organizations,” and “Legal Environment of International Business,” 1989-1991.
- Mexican Republic, 1985
Areas of Practice
- Intellectual Property
- Presenter, “Connections between Mexico and United Kingdom: The Technology Transfer and Legal Area,” presented at UK Trade & Investment and the Britannic Embassy, Mexico City, 2007.
- Presenter, “Legal Regimen of the Intellectual Property in Mexico,” presented at International Enterprise Conference, Madrid, Spain, June, 2006.
- Presenter, “Defense and Enforcement of the Industrial Property in Mexico,” Mexico City, 2006.
- Presenter, “How to Manage an Intellectual Property Firm,” and “Administration Company of Industrial and Intellectual Property,” presented at the Industrial and Intellectual Property Diploma program sponsored by UNAM, Mexico City, November, 2005.
- Presenter, “ALCA and the Commercial Marks,” presented at “Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA) and Trademarks,” Venezuela, October, 2004.
- Presenter, “Doing Licensing Deals in Latin America,” Mexico, November, 2003.
- Presenter, “Antitrust Issues in Intellectual Property Licensing,” Osaka, Japan, April, 2002.
- Presenter, “Licensing and Technology Transfer, Latin American Tax Considerations,” Spain, March, 2001.
- Presenter, “Fiscal Aspects on Licensing in Latin America, Tax Considerations on Licensing in Mexico,” Amsterdam, Krasnapolsky, May, 2000.
- Presenter, “Maximizing Profitability in a Global Environment, The Mexican Case,” New York, NY, June, 2000 and November, 1999; San Francisco, CA, June, 2002.
- Presenter, “Licensing and Technology Transfer in Latin America,” Mexico City. Mexico, August, 2000.
- Presenter, “Drafting and Negotiating License Agreements,” presented at the Biotechnology Licenses Seminar Organized by WIPO and the European Patent Office, September, 1998.
- Presenter, “Licensing and Technology Transfer in Mexico,” presented at the Environment Protection Institute, Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, April, 1996.
- Presenter, “Trademarks in North/South Trade, The Impact of NAFTA, Another Market Force,” presented at the International Trademark Association Conference, Mexico City, Mexico, November, 1995.
- Presenter, “Exhaustion of Rights and Parallel Imports,” and “IP Developments in Latin America,” presented at the Licensing Executives Society International (LESI) Conference, Buenos Aires, Argentina, March, 1995.
- Presenter, “The Greening of Technology Transfer-Protection of the Environment and of Intellectual Property,” presented at the Franklin Pierce Law Center, Concord, NH, March, 1994.
- Presenter, “Technology Transfer: Views of USA and Mexico,” presented at the Franklin Pierce Law Center, Concord, NH, September, 1992.
- “Mexico’s New Law Affects Taxes,” les Neuvelles, Journal of Licensing Executives Society International (LESI), 1995
- “Legal Innovations on Patents,” Información Dinámica de Consulta (IDC), in Revista Expansión, Mexico, 1992.
- “Protection of Industrial Property Rights,” IDC, Mexico, 1991.
- “Evolution of the Control and Regulation of Technology Transfer in Mexico,” Instituto Mexicano de Ejecutivos en Finanzas (IMEF), Mexico, 1990.
- “The Opening of Technology Transfer,” IDC, Mexico, 1990.
- “Licensing and Economy in Mexico,” Franklin Pierce Law Center, Concord, NH, 1988.
- Mexican Bar Association (Barra Mexicana, Colegio de Abogados, A.C.), Intellectual Property Committee Member, 1985 to date.
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI), International VicePresident, 2007.
- Licensing Executives Society International (LESI), International Delegate, 1994-1996; 1998 to date; President of LESI Mexico, 1996-1999; Vice Chair of the Panamerican Committee, 2000-2001; President of the Board of Directors of LESI Mexico, 1992-1994; 1996-1998; Secretary of the Board of LESI Mexico, 1991-1992; Chairperson of the Board of LESI Mexico, 1990-1991; Member of the Editorial Board of “les Neuvelles,” Journal of LESI, 1992 to date.
- Interamerican Association of Intellectual Property, (ASIPI), Education Committee, 2007.
- International Trademark Association (INTA), Member, 2000.
- Franklin Pierce Law Center (FPLC), Mexican Alumni Association, President, 2008; Member, Board of Trustees, 2007.
- Board-Media Association, Board Member, 2005.
- US Agency for International Development, Scholarship to obtain the Master’s Degree in Intellectual Property at Franklin Pierce Law Center, Concord, NH, 1987.